Romana Pharmacy guarantees to maintain a complete medication profile on all residents at the Recipient serviced by the pharmacy. Prior to dispensing any medications, the Consultant Pharmacist shall review the prescriber's original written order or a direct copy to ensure that the prescriber's medication order is authentic, accurate and appropriate.
He/she will check the medication order for:
- Resident's name
- Signature of authorized prescriber
- Name of the medication and ODB status
- Dose form and strength
- Route and frequency of administration
- Duration of treatment, if limited
- Complete directions for appropriate use
- Date and the time order was written
- Medical conditions, relevant diagnoses
Once authenticity is confirmed, the resident's medication profile shall be assessed to detect:
- Duplication of therapeutically similar medications
- Potential allergic or adverse drug reactions
- Possible drug-disease incompatibilities
- Significant drug-drug interaction
- Correct dosage and dosage interval
- Appropriate dosage form and route of administration
- Problems related to intravenous administration including potential incompatibilities, drug stability, volume of intravenous fluid for medication administration and rate of administration
- Appropriate length of therapy.
The Pharmacist shall resolve any questions regarding the prescription with the physician or the prescriber prior to dispensing a medication.